Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Film speed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks a lot, thats a great help [img]smile.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Go to the next faster shutter speed than that which the internal meter suggests.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This would not work with my SLR (Pentax PZ-20) which has shutter speeds in half-stops. If the built-in meter recommends 1/60 second then the "next faster shutter speed" which Nigel intends is 1/125 second, but in my SLR it is 1/90 second. Be sure your camera is not the same way.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    This isnt really super 8 related so I hope you dont mind me asking but I have a dilemma on my hands. I've bought 3 rolls of 3200 ASA black and white 35mm film for use in my SLR camera which I want to shoot for a college project.

    However, I have discovered that my camera will only go up to 1600 ASA and I was wondering if I could overcome this by simply halving the shutter speed that the meter recommends??? (with the camera set to 1600 ASA obviously)

    I dont have time to return the film, as I need to shoot it inside two weeks and I bought online, and it takes about a week to get here from the store so if i return it and order a replacement I can see myself running out of time.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can do one of three things--
    1. Go to the next faster shutter speed than that which the internal meter suggests.

    2. Stop down one stop from which the internal meter suggests.

    3. Use a light meter.

    Good Luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm I think there again I may have a problem. I can't use my Pentax P30T because that is DX coded up to 1600 ASA, so if I put a 3200 ASA film in it will most likely not recognise it and set itself to 100 ASA. My other camera is a Canon t70 with which I could set the ASA range to 1600 and then as suggested use the next fastest shutter speed that the meter recommends, this however may not be possible as this camera has no aperture priority setting, only manual shutter priority which means that if I double the shutter speed once I've taken a reading, it will then go and stop down the aperture to compensate :S Anyway I'll have to play with it and check.

    Last resort, my mate has Canon EOS 500n that I might be able to use instead!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Technicolour

    I'm back from Lewes. I also have a Canon T70 and i'm confused to hear you say it doesn't have apperture priority. All you need to do is turn the lens apperture ring out of auto (A) into the desired f stop. The meter will continue to tell you its readings - use them as a guide and stop down one stop from what they tell you - simple! Or use the Tv setting and keep the apperture in auto if you prefer. Voila!

    Lucas

    P.S. What course at Lewes Tertiary College? - I used to go there. Damn it's a small world!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Man this really makes me love 100% manual cameras. I hope you get it worked out since that 3200 is great film. I love the grain in it.

    Good Luck

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, if the film is negative I would just shoot at what it says for ASA 1600. That will over expose it a stop which makes negative look better anyway. We shoot all our color and black and white neg a stop over exposed and it tightens the grain.

    Roger

  9. #9
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lightfeat:
    Hi Technicolour

    I'm back from Lewes. I also have a Canon T70 and i'm confused to hear you say it doesn't have apperture priority. All you need to do is turn the lens apperture ring out of auto (A) into the desired f stop. The meter will continue to tell you its readings - use them as a guide and stop down one stop from what they tell you - simple! Or use the Tv setting and keep the apperture in auto if you prefer. Voila!

    Lucas

    P.S. What course at Lewes Tertiary College? - I used to go there. Damn it's a small world!
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Now I'm totally confused, the Fstop settings on the actual lens don't seem to do anything with my camera and if you want a particular F stop setting you have to adjust the shutter speed until the meter gives you an aperture that you want, rather then just being able to select it.

    I'm now holding the actual camera in my hands and you don't seem to able able to select a particular Fstop (e.g. F22) and then what it should do is adjust the shutter speed to compensate, that is aperture priority. Therefore, I have to switch it to Tv and lower the shutter speed until it gives me an aperture close to what I want.

    Help! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    (PS)It certainly is a small world! I'm studying Photography, Electronics and Computing.

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(Originally posted by Nigel) Man this really makes me love 100% manual cameras. I hope you get it worked out since that 3200 is great film. I love the grain in it.
    Good Luck</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    yeah I;m after lots of grain [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I'm planning on sort of woodland and maybe graveyard shots in very low light and I envisage really grainy spooky images. Maybe with the odd flashgun to light up certain subjects and control the contrast a bit better. As for the manual cameras, I'm starting to agree with you on that one [img]frown.gif[/img]

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Originally posted by Moviestuff Actually, if the film is negative I would just shoot at what it says for ASA 1600. That will over expose it a stop which makes negative look better anyway. We shoot all our color and black and white neg a stop over exposed and it tightens the grain.
    Roger</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hmm I might just do that. After all negative has a very wide latitude does it not? What do you mean by "tightens" the grain, if you mean reduces it then really I'm after the opposite effect.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Right stop, hold on!!!

    In a re-reply to lucas's post's (should both of those be hyphenated?) I've had a play with my camera (and looked at the intructions [img]redface.gif[/img] ) and realised that I can set it to Tv mode and then just stop down the aperture to compensate for the super speedy 3200 film.

    Many thanks Lucas, that will teach me not to read peoples posts properly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •